Wednesday 1 June 2016

The First Post

As I write this inaugural post, I am sitting on a tiny, child-sized stool, in a darkened room, because my (nearly) 4 year old will create merry hell if I leave before she is asleep. So far I have only had to tell her and her sister to be quiet 3 times. The baby (well, 18 month old) in the next room is still chuntering away to herself, but will hopefully settle soon. And now the 4 yr old needs a wee. Sigh....
I decided today to write a diary, mostly because I'm pissed off with my kids (the almost 6 yr old now needs a poo and has been sent off to the bathroom for daddy to deal with!), and because I was contemplating why I was finding parenting more of a challenge than usual today. I came to the conclusion that I'm a bit premenstrual, but also that the kids are actually just being incredibly annoying. Perhaps I should have organised hour to hour activities on a wet half-term Tuesday, but I foolishly believed that a trip to the dentist, a game on the Wii U, and baking some cookies would be enough. (puts down phone to tuck middle child back in and sort out "Donkey", who is actually a zebra, toy)
Today, F(6) & A(4) have been everything I dislike about children. Back-chatting, mimicking, whinging, hitting, know-it-all little weasels. The sorts of children you meet at family functions and instantly take a dislike to - Over confident and brash, believing they are the centre of everything, you know? (Tucks poo child back into bed)
They are, of course, the centre of my word, but they are not ALL of my world (gives "one last kiss" to poo child) and this evening as I face an evening in my PJ'S on the sofa with my husband, I am glad they are now in bed and I can be someone other than 'mum'. I am also looking forward with much longing to Friday night, when there will be good friends, cheap wine, and grown-up (yet somewhat childish) conversations.
Let's hope tomorrow they will be in better moods and I will be better at dealing with them 

No comments:

Post a Comment